Posted to uk.d-i-y
John John is offline

Default Leaking flex tap connector

Steve Walker wrote in
:

On 12/11/2019 08:57, John Rumm wrote:
On 11/11/2019 23:36, John wrote:

I am sure the OP, has got that message by now.

I also have a bee in my bonnet about exterior PIR lights that are
aimed horizontally!

:-) Yup with you on that...

One of mine is almost horizontal, but a) that is because I need it to
light the full distance from the front of my garage, along the back
driveway and up to the back door of the house (especially as my wife
has poor night vision, balance problems and joint problems, so she is
likely to fall and struggle to get up again if she steps on a ball or
something in the dark) and b) our side gates are solid and tall, so
the houses opposite are not really affected.

(not to mention using 500W when a 60W would do the same job just as
well!)

Ours is LED these days, but there was originally a 500W unit, partly
to get sufficient light some distance away, but also because I use the
area in front of the garage for marking out and cutting and don't want
to be stopped or make a mistake due to poor lighting on a winter
evening.

SteveW

Consider the proportion of the light that is not hitting your property
at all. At least 50% will be going upwards. You may even have a dark
spot und
er the lamp. Surely aiming the centre of the "beam" at the place where
you are working will be an improvement. Better still - the edge of the
beam at the outer edge of your property to limit overspill.