Posted to alt.home.repair
Clare Snyder Clare Snyder is offline

Default Utility shed situation

On Mon, 11 Nov 2019 01:16:09 -0500, wrote:

On Sun, 10 Nov 2019 20:05:14 -0600, Vic Smith
wrote:

On Sun, 10 Nov 2019 18:41:24 -0500,
wrote:

On Sun, 10 Nov 2019 16:02:07 -0600, Vic Smith
wrote:

On Sun, 10 Nov 2019 07:19:11 -0500,
wrote:

On Sat, 09 Nov 2019 22:42:31 -0600, Vic Smith
wrote:

On Sat, 09 Nov 2019 21:14:18 -0500,
wrote:

On Sat, 09 Nov 2019 11:10:57 -0600, Vic Smith
wrote:

On Sat, 9 Nov 2019 05:21:34 -0800 (PST), Cindy Hamilton
wrote:

We've had the electrical inspector out a few times, most recently for the
automatic standby generator. He never said boo about receptacles.

Yeah, me too. I don't have a single GFCI in my house. If a contractor wants GFCI
protection, he'll have to bring it with him.

Safety doesn't matter to you I guess.
OK by me. It is just a strange position for a bleeding heart liberal
who thinks there is nothing we should not do if it saves a single
life. (or the 400-500 that die from electrocution each year and the
30,000 that get treated for electrical related injuries).

Hey, I thought "bleeding heart liberals" did everything the NEC told them to do.
That would be you.

I am not talking about every stupid thing they put in the NEC but the
GFCI is probably the biggest safety advance in 40 years. You have to
be pretty silly not to use it.

For what? I have no outside receptacles, no kitchen receptacles close to water and don't
use the bathroom outlet. Tell you what; if I get an electric toothbrush or a new kitchen
I'll put in dual function breakers for needed circuits. Until then, if a contractor wants
GFCI protection, he'll have to bring it with him.

Whatever rationalizations work for you. It is just strange that you
want to ban assault rifles when more people get electrocuted every
year than get killed by rifles, all types assault or otherwise yet you
won't use the most basic electrical safety product.

Huh? You're nuts. I don't recall reading of any homeowner electrocutions in ages.
Keep in mind I don't chew on wires. I suppose next you'll want OSHA inspectors in my
house. No thanks. BTW, I have all electrical work done by licensed professionals.
I don't touch the stuff. As far as assault weapons, there no sense arguing with a gun nut.

Most homeowners live in houses with GFCIs in places where they are
needed and the people who live in substandard ghetto housing that is
not up to code don't make the news when they are killed.

You have licensed electricians who have never suggested you put in
GFCIs?

You are lying or you have hacks in Georgia.

I had my fuse box replaced with a breaker box along with the
inspection of my aluminum wiring for insurance purposes - and to pass
the inspection FOR THE PANEL - not the wiring condition, I had to
install GFCI devices.

Replaced all devices with CoALR and where that was not possible
pigtailed with copper using Marrette ACS wirenuts - the only wirenuts
approved for that purpose in Ontario (No, the Ideal Purple ones are
NOT approved according to my inspector) - I used stranded wire for the
pigtails to reduce stress on the joints when installing the devices in
the boxes.
The electrician that did the job didn't know the inspection would
require the GFCI units to be installed. The inspector gave me a free
permit retroactively for the CoALR and pigtail retrofits which
technically require a licenced electrician (ANY device replacement -
even just changing a lamp or switch- requires a licenced electrician
when Aluminum wiring is involved)
He passed my work with no defects.