Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Utility shed situation

On Sun, 10 Nov 2019 12:43:43 -0800 (PST), Cindy Hamilton
wrote:

On Sunday, November 10, 2019 at 10:45:37 AM UTC-5, trader_4 wrote:
To address the general
problem the code should require outdoor receptacles that are accessible
within 25 ft of any point on the perimeter. I wouldn't think that would
be controversial, but here we are.

Are you talking every house should be retrofitted immediately, or
as the opportunity arises (say, other outdoor electrical work is
being done), or just for new construction?

I'd sure hate to have to drill through the split-fieldstone veneer over
concrete block that comes down to the ground on three sides of my house.

Stick-built houses are really much easier to work with. Every time
we need to make a penetration we rent a diamond-bit core drill.

Cindy Hamilton

Typically code changes get implemented when the scope of work for
renovations affects the area where the new code would apply. In the
case of the HVAC outlet, generally it only gets installed if this is a
new install of a condenser and they are running wire out there anyway.
I have never heard of requiring an outside outlet unless this is an
addition where roughing a wire through the new wall is trivial. A lot
depends on the contractor in new construction and whether they really
give a **** about convenience for the owner or if they are cutting
every corner they can to save a buck.
I looked at a spreadsheet from 2010 (when my wife stopped building
houses) and the contract price for a GFCI outside receptacle had the
incremental cost of $30. In inside GFCI receptacle was $25. (although
it got negotiated down to $3 less per)

http://gfretwell.com/electrical/A%20...%20Florida.xls