Posted to sci.electronics.repair,sci.electronics.design
Alex Borroughs Alex Borroughs is offline

Default could this simple solution work for solder smoke device?

On 11/10/19 5:24 AM, Clive Arthur wrote:
On 08/11/2019 17:25, Alex Borroughs wrote:
I've been looking for a cheap, possibly DIY solder smoke solution.

snip

Most of my soldering nowadays is done peering down a binocular
microscope.Â* If I have to do more than I can manage to hold my breath
for, I use a snorkel.Â* Works well.

Cheers

I ended up going with Mr. Horton's solution as I also made the "5 layer"
device and added an activated carbon layer as well using a spare,
non-functional fan as containment. Device works pretty darn well. I
haven't done any soldering yet, but it has done a remarkable job just
cleaning the air in one of the bedrooms.

Sounds like someone does surface mount soldering. I attempted it once
and the result was disaster and haven't done so since.