Posted to uk.d-i-y
Graeme[_7_] Graeme[_7_] is offline

Default A little light relief

In message ,
writes
On Saturday, 9 November 2019 17:31:41 UTC, Graeme wrote:

I'm not sure why dates are printed on tins.

1. for mfrs to divest themselves of any legal responsibility if a tin spoils
2. to get people to chuck & buy again

Cynical, but true :-)

BB & Use by dates are frequently works of fantasy nowadays. Only some
are realistic, primarily meat & prepared salads.

They are about the only ones I tend to use. Other fresh products such
as milk and cream, cheese etc., are usually fine. Noses and eyes are
useful.

There was once a film or TV show where an old boy always sniffed the
milk, driving his daughter (or DiL?) insane.

If you get food poisoning from tinned food you won't be squatting,
you'll be in hospital trying to survive. Mortality is high.

Indeed but, as Owain said, who would bother to open a bulging tin?

--
Graeme