Posted to alt.home.repair
Clare Snyder Clare Snyder is offline

Default Gasoline is back!

On Sat, 09 Nov 2019 22:39:41 -0500, wrote:

On Sun, 10 Nov 2019 14:04:33 +1100, "Rod Speed"
wrote:

wrote in message
. ..
On Sat, 09 Nov 2019 16:09:21 -0500, Clare Snyder
wrote:

On Sat, 9 Nov 2019 05:31:51 -0600, Dean Hoffman
wrote:

On 11/8/19 10:28 PM, T wrote:
Hi All,

The local Mavericks is putting in two pumps with
for pure gasoline. Yippee!

I lost 2.5 miles per gallon when Gasohol was forced down
our throats, thank you so much.

I wonder if this regulation being removed is Trump's doing?

Next reg to remove, those stupid regs on washing machines.

-T
We've had both in my little world in Nebraska. The ethanol is
considerably
cheaper per gallon. I haven't done the math though to figure miles per
dollar which
is the important thing.
Here in Ontariariario ethanol free premium is about 17 cents a liter
more expensive than regular right now 1.24 vs 1.07 (3.78 liters to
the yankee gallon) so an extra $0.65 per US Gallon. About 16% more
expensive than regular E10. With ethanol being about half the energy
density of gasoline it works out we are paying the equivalent of 1.17
a liter for regular gasoline factoring out the energy deficiency of
the ethanol. That's 7 cents a liter for the higher octane - about a 6%
premium which is pretty close to what I remember as historic average
(way back I'd pay a dollar a gallon for regular and a dollar 6 or a
dollar 7 for premium)

It is anywhere from 30 to 70 cents more a gallon here depending on
where you go and we have lots of stations carrying it. I think of it
more as a cult product than a necessity, particularly if you are not
storing it for a long time. I run it in everything with no problems. I
do have a habit, gained long before E-10 was a thing, of running small
engine equipment dry before I put them away. Old style gas used to go
bad too, we just want to forget.

We have the reverse situation here, everyone has 91 and 98 octane
unleaded and diesel and some have E10 as well. Very little of our
ethanol comes from corn crops. That’s always struck me as a
completely mad approach particularly when mandated by the govt.

Generally not good value per kilojoule but some are attracted
by the lower price.

Apparently few bother to stock LPG anymore, mainly because its not
very competitive on price anymore even tho we produce lots of it,
but mainly export it in massive tankers.

You just don't grow as much corn as we do. The whole midwest is
growing wheat and corn. Corn seems to be the easiest to grow since it
is immune to roundup. They can spray the fields with roundup and
nothing can grow there but corn. That means we have lots of it and it
shows up in damned near everything, including motor fuel. We have a
bunch of natural gas but LNG is not as easy to handle as ethanol that
is stable at STP.

LPG still makes a lot of sense for many users here in Ontario -
where there is no road tax on it. Not REAL commonly available but if
you plan your trips it's not a problem. Conversion to LPG injection is
not cheap, however.