Posted to uk.d-i-y
Rod Speed Rod Speed is offline

Default A little light relief

wrote in message
On Saturday, 9 November 2019 17:31:41 UTC, Graeme wrote:
In message ,
writes
On Saturday, 9 November 2019 17:01:53 UTC, nightjar wrote:

Tins may well end up well past their best before date
just sitting in my cupboard.

I'm working my way through 72 tins of haggis I bought a few years ago
when they were about 35p each :-)

I'm not sure why dates are printed on tins.

1. for mfrs to divest themselves of any legal responsibility if a tin
spoils
2. to get people to chuck & buy again

How did we survive before
the dates were printed? I've used countless tins that were well past
the printed date, and never noticed a difference in the quality of the
contents, or spent the next few days 'squatting'.

BB & Use by dates are frequently works of fantasy nowadays.
Only some are realistic, primarily meat & prepared salads.

Even with meat there is a big difference depending
on what you do with it storage temp wise etc. Some
of our Aldis can be very slack about what they do
with the chicken particularly with what they do
with it between the truck and the shelf.

If you get food poisoning from tinned food you won't be squatting,
you'll be in hospital trying to survive. Mortality is high.

In fact it isnt actually tinned food that kills very many anymore.