Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default A little light relief

On Saturday, 9 November 2019 17:31:41 UTC, Graeme wrote:
In message ,
writes
On Saturday, 9 November 2019 17:01:53 UTC, nightjar wrote:

Tins may well end up well past their best before date
just sitting in my cupboard.

I'm working my way through 72 tins of haggis I bought a few years ago
when they were about 35p each :-)

I'm not sure why dates are printed on tins.

1. for mfrs to divest themselves of any legal responsibility if a tin spoils
2. to get people to chuck & buy again

How did we survive before
the dates were printed? I've used countless tins that were well past
the printed date, and never noticed a difference in the quality of the
contents, or spent the next few days 'squatting'.

BB & Use by dates are frequently works of fantasy nowadays. Only some are realistic, primarily meat & prepared salads.

If you get food poisoning from tinned food you won't be squatting, you'll be in hospital trying to survive. Mortality is high.

NT