Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Yorkshire tea ... one for Bill maybe

On 09/11/2019 13:11, Graham. wrote:
Vir Campestris Wrote in message:
On 08/11/2019 17:47, Graham. wrote:
The result is far too much is pored down the drain. I use half a Lidl
"W5" dishwasher tablet and between a quarter and a third of the
recommended washing machine powder dose and get good results

That's odd. Dishwashers have built in softeners, so should not be
affected by hard water.

Andy

Well I hope people here in Manchester aren't wasting their money
on "dishwasher salt", but judging by the shelf-space dedicated
to it in the shops, I suspect some are.

We certainly are not. 20-year old kettles and failed washing machine or
dishwasher heater elements are totally clean.

When I was at school we did titrations and the tap water was virtually
as soft as the demineralised water.

I have in fact worked on control panel design for dosing rigs. UU adds
measured doses of phosphates to the water supply to prevent the soft
water absorbing lead from any remaining lead pipes - as they never
develop an internal coating to stop the lead leaching into the water. In
hard water areas the lead is totally sealed off from the water by the
deposits.

SteveW