Posted to alt.home.repair
trader_4 trader_4 is offline

Default Roof 'flashing' was never installed, should the whole roof be replaced?

On Friday, November 8, 2019 at 4:33:35 PM UTC-5, Clare Snyder wrote:
On Fri, 08 Nov 2019 12:38:06 -0500, Dan Espen
wrote:

writes:

Hello, my house was built in the 80s and is located in the NE United
States. I recently had a handyman in to do some work outside replacing
some rotten wood and he said it looks like some corners were cut when
the house was built, the builders did not install 'flashing' around
the edges of the roof, and the roof doesnt overhang the siding in many
places. Also he said the house doesn't have a 'membrane' layer, which
is is a more recent requirement. As a result water can get behind the
siding and cause rot. He thinks that the roof shingles need to be
replaced in order to install the flashing. I think the shingles are in
pretty good shape. Its not the original roof, but it is at least 10
years old. I dont want to get a new roof if I dont need to. He knows
a roofing guy who will take a look, but I plan to get an independent
roofer to check as well. Does the bit about flashing sound correct?
And can flashing be installed without replacing the whole roof? Thanks

You don't need to replace the whole roof.
Depending on the age of the roof, you may want to do that if you're
having work done.

To install flashing, you need to remove the row of shingles between the
wall and the roof. Maybe one or 2 rows, that's all. More important,
yoou need to remove siding to get at the wall/roof interface. The flashing
bridges that space.

I'm having that kind of work done right now.

It's not "flashing" that is hios problem - it is the drip edge.

see https://www.jlconline.com/how-to/fra...-and-the-irc_o

Drip edge is a type of flashing.