Posted to alt.home.repair
micky micky is offline

Default Roof 'flashing' was never installed, should the whole roof be replaced?

In alt.home.repair, on Fri, 8 Nov 2019 06:03:48 -0800 (PST),
wrote:

Hello, my house was built in the 80s and is located in the NE United States. I recently had a handyman in to do some work outside replacing some rotten wood and he said it looks like some corners were cut when the house was built, the builders did not install 'flashing' around the edges of the roof, and the roof doesnt overhang the siding in many places.

I've very little experience, but I've seen many houses where the roof
overhangs not at all, although the gutters overhang the width of the
gutters.

Also he said the house doesn't have a 'membrane' layer, which is is a more recent requirement. As a result water can get behind the siding and cause rot.

How long have you been there? Have any of these probless? (Oh, yes,
some wood rot somewhere)

If ice dams have bee a problem -- temperature is high enough for snow on
top to melt but ice closer to the edge of the room keeps it from running
off the roof -- there are some metal things I see nailed to the roof
that I think are intended to stop that. Unless of course tthey are for
some other reason, like keeping piles of snow from sliding off the room
onto visitors on the porch.

Maybe someone will say what they are for and if that, maybe they can
relieve ice dams.

He thinks that the roof shingles need to be replaced in order to install the flashing. I think the shingles are in pretty good shape. Its not the original roof, but it is at least 10 years old. I dont want to get a new roof if I dont need to. He knows a roofing guy who will take a look, but I plan to get an independent roofer to check as well. Does the bit about flashing sound correct? And can flashing be installed without replacing the whole roof? Thanks

It will be a good way to judge the roofer if he says, Yes, you can just
slide the flashing in from the edge. versus Yeah, you need a roof.
Keep notes of who is who.

There is also flashing used at chimneys and valleys. I presume you have
any that is needed there.