Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default How Consistent Is The Ring on Taper Tooling

On 11/7/2019 8:09 AM, Bob La Londe wrote:
How consistent is the ring on taper tooling?

I recently changed out the spindle on one of my small high speed
machines to an ISO20 quick change spindle.Â* I'm trying to determine the
easiest way to measure tool length off the machine.Â* As near as I can
tell the only purpose of the ring on ISO20 is to hang the tool holder in
a tool changer.Â* To do that it really doesn't have to be all that
consistent.Well not as consistent as tool length measurement needs to
be.Â* Do I have to use an actual tool zero, and machine or buy a taper
socket to set the tools in on the surface plate?

I'm not using a tool changer.Â* Just doing quick changes and wanting to
use the tool table to reduce time doing touch offs.Â* Just do it once at
the beginning of the job.

So far I really like the ISO20 spindle.Â* Its already saving me a lot of
time over the ER spindle, and I have a second one ready to go in a
second machine when I have a spare afternoon to do it.

I ran across this old thread on Practical Machinist:

https://www.practicalmachinist.com/v...-taper-232446/

It gives me the impression that I should be able to turn a fixture for
measuring tool height "good enough" even at my modest skill level on the
lathe.