Posted to sci.electronics.repair
amdx[_3_] amdx[_3_] is offline

Default Nylon gear adhesive

On 11/7/2019 4:26 AM, Phil Allison wrote:
Fletcher wrote:
---------------

What adhesive to repair nylon halved pencil sharpener gear?

** Doubt there is any glue for Nylon under high stress.

http://img4.imagetitan.com/img.php?i..._image5623.jpg

** I might be tempted to make a 1mm thick aluminium disc with large hole to fit over the broken gear. Then fasten it with numerous 2mm or 6BA nuts, washers and bolts.

Repaired a few broken plastic things with similar re-enforcing plates.

Worked for years afterwards.

That the item is of low value makes it more rewarding.

.... Phil

Phil has the winner for me, I have local fastener company, that would
find me a washer or two I could work with, but aluminum is so easy to
work with, your choice.
That said, I have drilled 0.025" holes and placed a 0.025" rod in the
hole to put two pieces back together, always used an epoxy with it but
wasn't sure the epoxy did much on some of the repairs. Sometimes used
two rods in different areas. Buy for this, I like Phil's idea!
Mikek