Old November 7th 19, 10:53 AM posted to sci.electronics.repair,alt.home.repair,alt.tools.repair+advice

Default Nylon gear adhesive

What adhesive to repair nylon halved pencil sharpener gear?
http://img4.imagetitan.com/img.php?i..._image5623.jpg
If it fails, what online pencil sharpener do you recommend?

Old November 7th 19, 11:19 AM posted to sci.electronics.repair,alt.home.repair,alt.tools.repair+advice

Fletcher wrote:

What adhesive to repair nylon halved pencil sharpener gear?
http://img4.imagetitan.com/img.php?i..._image5623.jpg

Maybe 3M DP8005, but it's not cheap, and the dual tube syringe is meant
to be used with a dedicated applicator
Old November 7th 19, 11:26 AM posted to sci.electronics.repair

Fletcher wrote:
---------------

What adhesive to repair nylon halved pencil sharpener gear?

** Doubt there is any glue for Nylon under high stress.

http://img4.imagetitan.com/img.php?i..._image5623.jpg

** I might be tempted to make a 1mm thick aluminium disc with large hole to fit over the broken gear. Then fasten it with numerous 2mm or 6BA nuts, washers and bolts.

Repaired a few broken plastic things with similar re-enforcing plates.

Worked for years afterwards.

That the item is of low value makes it more rewarding.

..... Phil

Old November 7th 19, 01:24 PM posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Thursday, November 7, 2019 at 4:53:46 AM UTC-5, Fletcher wrote:
What adhesive to repair nylon halved pencil sharpener gear?
http://img4.imagetitan.com/img.php?i..._image5623.jpg
If it fails, what online pencil sharpener do you recommend?

Nylon is tough to bond. I've never seen any adhesive do more than support it's own weight at best.

In any case, the gear is so thin that edge adhesion won't hold even with a suitable adhesive assuming one exists. I've done plastic gears like that by epoxying a suitable size washer on both sides if you have the clearance. But those were regular plastic. I don't know if that will work on nylon even given the large contact area of two washers and epoxy. You can always drill through the gear and washer sandwich and pin both sides together. It also looks like it has tooth damage as well, so if you get it to work it will thump as it rotates as long as it doesn't jam.

Other than that, an old timer with a jeweler's lathe could make one for you out of metal, or if you know a tool maker.
Old November 7th 19, 02:56 PM posted to sci.electronics.repair,alt.home.repair,alt.tools.repair+advice

On 11/7/2019 4:53 AM, Fletcher wrote:
What adhesive to repair nylon halved pencil sharpener gear?
http://img4.imagetitan.com/img.php?i..._image5623.jpg
If it fails, what online pencil sharpener do you recommend?

Hi,

I bought a 3D printed replacement gear for my Boston electric pencil
sharpener for around $10 on e-bay. Now there are several vendors, and a
couple of variations, so you could search e-bay for:

"Boston pencil sharpener gear" and find several choices.

Regards,
Tim

Old November 7th 19, 03:13 PM posted to sci.electronics.repair,alt.home.repair,alt.tools.repair+advice

On 11/7/19 4:53 AM, Fletcher wrote:
What adhesive to repair nylon halved pencil sharpener gear?
http://img4.imagetitan.com/img.php?i..._image5623.jpg
If it fails, what online pencil sharpener do you recommend?

Is this what you need ?

https://www.amazon.com/Boston-Gear-Y...re-bullets-btf

or https://tinyurl.com/y6kqhouq
Old November 7th 19, 04:14 PM posted to sci.electronics.repair,alt.home.repair,alt.tools.repair+advice

On 11/7/2019 4:53 AM, Fletcher wrote:
What adhesive to repair nylon halved pencil sharpener gear?
http://img4.imagetitan.com/img.php?i..._image5623.jpg
If it fails, what online pencil sharpener do you recommend?

No adhesive will work well for that type of break but cyanoacrylates are
supposed to work on nylon.

How does an online pencil sharpener work? Put the pencil into the wifi?
Old November 7th 19, 06:32 PM posted to sci.electronics.repair,alt.home.repair,alt.tools.repair+advice

In article ,
Fletcher wrote:

What adhesive to repair nylon halved pencil sharpener gear?
http://img4.imagetitan.com/img.php?i..._image5623.jpg
If it fails, what online pencil sharpener do you recommend?

This does not answer your question, but may be the best approach:

http://www.xacto.com/products/office...peners/detail/
1031

Fred
Old November 7th 19, 06:58 PM posted to sci.electronics.repair,alt.home.repair,alt.tools.repair+advice

Sometime around Thu, 7 Nov 2019 08:57:26 -0500, Tim Schwartz
wrote.....

On 11/7/2019 4:53 AM, Fletcher wrote:
What adhesive to repair nylon halved pencil sharpener gear?
http://img4.imagetitan.com/img.php?i..._image5623.jpg
If it fails, what online pencil sharpener do you recommend?

Hi,

I bought a 3D printed replacement gear for my Boston electric pencil
sharpener for around $10 on e-bay. Now there are several vendors, and a
couple of variations, so you could search e-bay for:

"Boston pencil sharpener gear" and find several choices.

Regards,
Tim

It probably will not work but I'll try to glue it just once.
If that fails, I'll junk it for parts.

To replace the gear I first called Newell Office Company under Exacto in
Statesville NC 800-879-4868 but they no longer support the Boston Model 18
Electric Pencil Sharpener 296A so they won't sell a replacement gear.

I assumed it's nylon where it must be a really bad design given that it
breaks a lot in the same spot on the net https://youtu.be/TExVKWyZx20 so if
an expoxy or cyanacrylate doesn't work I probably should choose a more
reliable brand than this crummy Boston brand.

Like you said there are 3D replacements online I could buy.
There's even a "tinkercad" model file
https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:267626
but I don't have a 3D printer to print it
https://www.tinkercad.com/things/6nqhKOHp530

Someone suggest a better brand they like that's better than crummy Boston?