Posted to alt.home.repair
trader_4 trader_4 is offline

Default 25 changes to the NEC in 2020

On Tuesday, November 5, 2019 at 12:59:02 PM UTC-5, wrote:
A lot of these do not affect homeowners but a few might bite you. One
is a change to 680.4 that allows AHJs to do periodic inspections of
existing pools. I am not sure what the exact language is but this has
always been true of public pools. They are also going to start
requiring an outside disconnect at a dwelling. That would also affect
panel swap outs but it is probably not retroactive.

https://www.ecmweb.com/national-elec...llery?slide=25

Kind of bizarre. I don't see why any local jurisdiction needs the NEC
to allow them to do inspections of anything they want to inspect. Are
there that many pool injuries or deaths related to wiring problems?
I know of one incident personally. A teacher at my high school decided it was a
good idea to get the water out of his pool by using a shop vac. He
apparently was holding it while in the pool. This was before GFCI and
it wasn't a wiring issue, just stupidity. An inspection wouldn't have
saved him.