Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Rifling machine plans

whit3rd on Mon, 4 Nov 2019 11:36:59 -0800 (PST)
On Friday, October 25, 2019 at 12:52:31 PM UTC-7, Jim Wilkins wrote:
An engineer from India who resented the USA and Europe's domination of
the modern world asked me why Europe had suddenly surged ahead of
everyone else, particularly India and China, and I couldn't fully
answer him.

One theory: the black death resulted in younger property owners, who could
foresee a long life ahead, and weren't inclined to be staid and conservative.
So, they innovated.

Younger property owners had no more expectation of a long life
during the plague years than those they inherited the property from.
"Eat, drink, and make Merry, tomorrow we die."
A more likely theory: loss of work force allowed/required
innovation. You needed more efficient technologies, you couldn't just
add more manpower. And, there were fewer "old hands" to say that's
not how we've done it."

On a side note, the Roman Empire had the technology to make steam
engines. But there was no demand, in large part because those who
could afford the expense of the machines, saw no need. They could
always buy more manpower.
--
pyotr filipivich