Posted to uk.d-i-y
external usenet poster

Default School leavers writing

On Friday, 1 November 2019 22:41:02 UTC, Commander Kinsey wrote:
On Mon, 21 Oct 2019 12:03:07 +0100, whisky-dave wrote:

On Saturday, 19 October 2019 18:45:26 UTC+1, Commander Kinsey wrote:
On Wed, 09 Oct 2019 14:01:56 +0100, whisky-dave wrote:

On Wednesday, 9 October 2019 01:07:28 UTC+1, Commander Kinsey wrote:
Things tend to be passed on, like accents.

No accents are learnt, or rather can be learnt, which is how impersonators work.

Passed on during learning to speak.

or later, peoples accents can change through out a persons life.

Mine didn't,

you're not exactly significant.

mainly because I have **** all accent and I find almost every accent pointless.

That says a lot about you.

It's also considered an identity as you say you;d expect peole in scotland to have scottish accents, but if you came to London few will have what is known to be a London accent.

That's because most of London is Muslims.

No most of london isn't, and being a Muslim is a religious thing nothing to do with an accent.

Throw them off the cliffs of Dover!

Thre are people I'd prefer to throw but it has little to do with theior religion or accents. What acent do you think Boris has Muslim ?

Mind you, I don't pick up accents. I speak the way I spoke when I learned it as a young child. I don't change accent when I speak to different people, but some seem to change within 10 minutes!

Yes that can happen, tend to use the word learnt rather than learned.
I do know a linguiseed she's gernam and teaches the subject of how langauged changed with time, she lectures at a university in Germany. It's interesting to hear how the English language developed over time and 'british accents' of which there is an intersting archive that has been produced.
https://sounds.bl.uk/Accents-and-dialects

Yes. I knew a sweish girl that spend a year at uni in birmingham she came to London with a brummy accent !
I know French people that have lived in London 20+ years and they still sound French yet another after being here 7 years isn't recongnised as being French from his accent, even passport control questioned him when he came back from France.

Agreed, everyone is different.

yes but it's interesting to know about such things. Even more so when some peole can mimic others accents and mannerisms.

but yuo'l notice that English speaking canadian sound a bit scottish, they say abooot rather than about.

That's not Scottish, they also they things like howse. They just carefully pronounce all the vowels.

What do you think the part of canada is called Nova Scotia for
--------------
Nova Scotia" means "New Scotland" in Latin and is the recognized English-language name for the province. In both French and Scottish Gaelic, the province is directly translated as "New Scotland" (French: Nouvelle-Écosse. Gaelic: Alba Nuadh).
----------------

Why on earth would anyone want to make another Scotland?

They didn't make another one, but why not asked why they made a new york, what was wrong with the old york.
Then there is New South Wales the other side of the world why ? why not just new Wales if they had to why just have south Wales ?

Most people find it easiier to use a one particualr hand than the other.

Bull****.

Nom it's a fact.

Becaseu that's the way they were taught!

No.
My mother was taught to use her right hand for writing, she had her knuckles hit with a wooden rular at school, but she could still only write with her left hand.

Your mother is therefore left handed.

well done you've got it.

She's a minority.

Well don;e yuo've almost got it right.

Most people can use whatever hand they're taught to use. Those who are limited to oe hand are inferior.

Why do you need to be able to use both hand to write with what;s the point in training two hands to do one job. Where's the evolutionary advantage.
Even animals aren't stupeid enough to do such a thing.

But my point is, how do I know if I'm right handed or ambidextrous? People who can write with their right hand never bother trying with their left.

Why don't they ?

Because right handed writing is the norm.

So who'd be stupid enough to train themselves to use their left hand to write ?
And don't forget it's not just writing either.

One way of telling is to throw something at a persons face see which hand they use to protect themselves.
or ask them to pick something up.
Ask them to stand on one leg.

All that does is show which hand they prefer to use,

yes and there is a reason for that.

that could be which they are better at using, or it could be which hand they were taught to use for stuff like writing.

People aren't told which hand to use nower-days in civilised countries anyway.

Which hand to you use to wipe your arse.

Most are right handed.

Yeah well done, almost there.

Left handers should be drowned at birth.

You wouldn't know at birth, same as yuo wouldnlt know if they were Gay or straight, left or right wing or which music or jokes they prefer.

That would make everyone the same and be easier to create tools for us to use with the same hand.

Wouldn't make much if any differnce.

total crap, or show me the evidence.

It's common sense, and the evidence isn't there because as I've told you countless times, people who can use their right don't try the left!

Yes they do I have, but there;s no point. Just like there;s no point in me learning to sue my feet to wrote but some can do that.

I have, and most people do at some point in their lives, just to see if they can.

But you don't spend years learning to use your left hand. You spent years learning to use your right hand at primary school to write with.

Because it felt easier to do so.
Some find it easier to use their left hand to write.

It took longer because he was older. Everything is quicker to learn when we are younger.

Most things are yes, and it;s also when we 'pick' an accent and language.

We don't need the whole of the brain,

Perhaps if yuo tried you;d know better.

just the half for the hand we choose to use.

What a lot of crap.
But perhaps that explains you, something has to.