Posted to sci.electronics.repair,alt.home.repair,alt.engineering.electrical
Arlen _G_ Holder Arlen _G_ Holder is offline

Default Where do you source 35 Amp 220VAC circuit breakers that are NOT in typical box stores?

On Mon, 28 Oct 2019 15:42:59 -0400, Clare Snyder wrote:

That brings up another point though - were you not aware MONTHS ago
that the genset was not functioning properly? I seem to remember you
making a half-assed attempt at getting information about it WAYYYY
back. The time to find out it needed that breaker , and sourcing it at
leisure was THEN.

Hi Clare,

You have a good memory, but, not quite good enough (I say that in good
humor, as you do have a good memory, as do I on such things.)

Fact is, it's not that simple, where the problem is always in DEBUGGING.
https://i.postimg.cc/V6L4ZxZw/transfer07.jpg

Last time, I thought the problem was the relays, which, you'll see in this
picture, were each labeled and then swapped (since the two 100Amp transfer
panels are duplicates), and yet, they failed the same both ways.
https://i.postimg.cc/kgm2pFDw/generac-transfer-panel-solenoid.jpg

We also didn't know if the problem was in the actual transfer solenoid,
which, I must add, for one, I had to manually flip it, even this time, but
with some things broken, I'm not sure if that's a first order or second
order effect.

Thirdly, there were two fuses missing, where I replaced those two fuses in
the interim.

And, fourthly, while I'm sure there is a testing sequence, you never really
get to test these things under real world circumstances until power goes
out.

Luckily, out here, in California, we don't have to wait long for THAT to
happen, now do we?

In short, it wasn't until I did all that and the power went out, that I
realized it was something else, which is when I finally took the breaker
out and realized it was half broken (it doesn't LOOK bad from the outside,
but it's bad in the inside).

Who knew?
Not me.
Until recently.

And, I only found out today, after three days running on propane,
that the battery was at 6volts, where who knows WHY the battery isn't
charging when the generator is running...
https://i.postimg.cc/c1Q5NF6n/generac-battery-charge.jpg

Luckily, Rube Goldberg borrowed a car, to jump the generator, and then
another battery to use to run the generator, and then with the power in the
house, I'm charging the original battery that has been on the generator for
the past 3 days due to the PG&E mismanagement outage.