Posted to sci.electronics.repair,alt.home.repair,alt.engineering.electrical
Arlen _G_ Holder Arlen _G_ Holder is offline

Default Where do you source 35 Amp 220VAC circuit breakers that are NOT in typical box stores?

On Mon, 28 Oct 2019 14:56:14 -0400, wrote:

If you can live with a 30 or a 40, Grainger has them for $32. They
might be able to order the 35 but you are out a few weeks I imagine.
What do you have in the transfer equipment at the panel? If you have a
35 protecting it at the panel for overloads, a 40 will adequately
protect the feeder for short circuit.

The generator has been running for 3 days now, where it quit sans warning
earlier today, where a check of the 12VDC car battery showed it was down to
6 volts, so, obviously, the charging circuit wasn't working (there's a lot
of corrosion on the battery terminals, but it starts up the generator just
fine when it's at 12VDC).

I know the battery was fully charged as PG&E had given us a day's notice,
so I had charged it for that day until the power went out 3 days ago.

The 8KWH generator has been burning propane at about 50 gallons a day (near
as I can tell from the gauge on the propane tank, which isn't all that easy
to read accurately), and where I used a jumper cable from a nearby vehicle
to debug that it was the battery and then, once debugged, I swapped in a
second car battery to keep the electricity going today (and put the dead
battery on a charger):
https://i.postimg.cc/c1Q5NF6n/generac-battery-charge.jpg

Looking inside each of the two transfer panels, one for each half of the
house, they seem to be listed as 100 Amp service each based on this wording
on the outside of the Generac part number
https://i.postimg.cc/MKnVYxgH/transfer13.jpg
https://i.postimg.cc/V6L4ZxZw/transfer07.jpg

Where there are 4 fuses in each of those two panels, all of which are
supposed to be the "uniquely sized" 600 Volt 2 Amp Buss SBS-2 fast acting
fuses, where it currently has 4 and 5 amp Buss BBS-4 and Buss BBS-5 600
Volt fast acting fuses (which came with the transfer panel when I bought
it) but where the 2AMP SBS-2 fuses have a similar (but not as bad) sourcing
problem as does the circuit breaker.
https://i.postimg.cc/TYq0GY8x/transfer03.jpg

This is, I think, OEM but based only on Ebay listings, which may be wrong:
o https://i.postimg.cc/MGb704vW/buss-sbs-2-600-V-fast-acting-fuse.jpg
This is original that the electrician originally put in the transfer panel:
o https://i.postimg.cc/bNPYzVgc/bussmanfuses01.jpg

The house is 200 Amp service, where my understanding is that each half of
the setup handles 100 Amps, but where I'm not sure why the original
electrician put in 4amp and 5amp fuses when online, I see pictures of all
sorts of sizes, but some of them are 2Amp fuses, so it's hard to tell
what's the correct fuse amperage.
https://i.postimg.cc/N0wQX4Jm/transfer02.jpg

I don't see anything else inside the transfer panel that is fused.
https://i.postimg.cc/Hx4VqSLt/Generac-Transfer-Switch-Exploded-Diagram-9067-9-16345-Page-18.jpg
https://i.postimg.cc/1XFTVs7N/Generac-Transfer-Switch-Wiring-Diagram-9067-9-16345-Page-15.jpg

Although the generator has the 35-amp circuit breaker & a fuse:
https://i.postimg.cc/wMg9DggX/Generac-Generator-Wiriing-Diagram-9067-9-16345-Page-14.jpg
Which is a typical 15-amp fuse shown in item #10 below:
https://i.postimg.cc/qq326cBh/Generac-Control-Panel-9067-9-16345-Page-19.jpg

--
Usenet is a great resource for homeowners with electrical problems to fix!