Posted to alt.home.repair
Arlen _G_ Holder Arlen _G_ Holder is offline

Default Is it good advice to turn off well & pool pumps during these PG&E fluctuating power outages?

Is it good advice to turn off well & pool pumps during these PG&E
fluctuating power outages?

At the moment, my power is out due to California PG&E mismanagement, where
I'm running on the built-in automatic propane generator (which I had to
recently repair with much appreciated help from purposefully helpful people
like Jeff Liebermann, who is a somewhat near neighbor in the general area).

Just wondering if it's a good idea to turn off the well pumps and pool
pumps, just to prevent the inevitable flickering of the power supply and
the eventual turning on of the PG&E destruction from "destroying things".

Given our power went out for a day on average over 30 times in the last
three years, I probably should have thought about this sooner, but this
particular set of recent PG&E outages is planned so we can prepare.

The multiple wells fill up multiple 5,000 & 10,000 gallon water tanks,
which are currently full and which last at least a month or so on their
reserves, so water supply isn't the issue ... just the 500 foot deep well
pumps themselves, and the multiple 1-1/2 HP multiple pool pumps (self
cleaning pools have more pumps).

Is it good advice to turn off non-essential well & pool pumps during these
PG&E fluctuating power outages?