Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
shiggins shiggins is offline

Default Rifling machine plans

On 10/27/2019 11:02 AM, shiggins wrote:
On 10/27/2019 1:29 AM, Mike Spencer wrote:
"Jim Wilkins" writes:

"Mike Spencer" wrote in message

There's an excellent video out there somewhere -- albeit possibly
not on the net -- in which a rifled flintlock is tracked from
wraapping & forge welding the barrel to rifling to making the lock
and eventual proof fireing of the completed barrel.Â* Details of the
rifling process/tooling were pretty clear IIRC.

Sadly, I can remember neither the smith's name nor the "restoration
village" where he worked for many years.

Here?

https://www.colonialwilliamsburg.com/locations/gunsmith

Yup.Â* That's the one. Still can't remember the smith's name.Â* I saw
the film long enough ago that the guy doing the demo is probably long
since retired.

I see from a quick gwgle that they substantially curtailed the
gunsmith shop a decade ago.Â* Too bad.Â* You don't have to be a
pathological firearms freak to appreciate the skill and workmanship
and the importance of same in the 18th c.

I seeÂ* that DVDs ofÂ* The Williamsburg Gunsmith are available, albeit
kinda pricey.

If you have an Apple device that can retrieve from the Apps store,
there's an animation of Robbins & Lawrence Co. Rifling Machine No.1.
Made in 1853, the machine is hand operated. You are able to zoom into
each "subsystem" of the machine for a better look and description.Â* The
demo is making a pistol barrel, but the machine is also capable long
barrels too.

Steve

I forgot. The app is "3D Rifling". Searching for "Robbins, et. al. won't
find it.

Steve