Posted to alt.home.repair
trader_4 trader_4 is offline

Default Heat pump SEER rating

On Wednesday, October 23, 2019 at 10:19:28 AM UTC-4, Ralph Mowery wrote:
In article ,
says...

GSHP systems work well - well below zero F. Ground Source Heat Pumps.
Early ones pumped water from a well. Most current units run a glycol
loop - some use horizontal loops but many now use vertical as they
need less real estate. Getting pretty common up here.

They may be getting to be common in the north. Many people do not have
the land area to install one. The GSHP will work very well as the
ground temperature is often around 55 deg F. Along the same line is
the ones that pump water out of one well and put it back in another.
Still not too practical for the average home owner.

I've heard of one here in NJ, never seen one. The problem is that the
math is horrific. They cost so much, many times what a nat gas or oil system
would cost, that it's impossible to come out right side up over the life
of the system. They are attractive to environmentalists with deep pockets,
who think one system is going to matter.

The cost to install one may be another big factor. I have not looked
into that cost as where I live it does not get very cold for very long
at one time.

It is THE factor, the cost of the ground part is a disaster.
Plus you get to have guys tearing up your yard.