Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Heat pump SEER rating

On Tue, 22 Oct 2019 10:35:27 -0700 (PDT), trader_4
wrote:

On Tuesday, October 22, 2019 at 1:15:08 PM UTC-4, The Other Mike wrote:
On Mon, 21 Oct 2019 15:50:32 -0400, A noiseless patient Spider

Why can't I find a heat pump with a good SEER rating? The USA has a law stating 13 minimum. Yet here in the UK, I looked at Panasonic and they're all 7 to 11!

It's because we use 120/240 volt 60 Hz two-phase.Â* Your single-phase 50 Hz is less efficient.

https://www.energystar.gov/products/...rce_heat_pumps

60Hz vs 50Hz?

For several manufacturers they all come off the the same production
line, using the same refrigerant, most now use a multiphase inverter
driven compressor.

The result is there is essentially bugger all difference in thermal
performance and certainly none related to the mains input voltage and
frequency.

Certainly not true here in the US. Manufacturers have a product line
that goes from 13 SEER to maybe 20, the higher efficiency units costing
substantially more.

I think he is talking about comparable models, just rated different
here than in UK.