Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Heat pump SEER rating

On Tue, 22 Oct 2019 00:44:56 +0100, "Commander Kinsey"
wrote:

On Tue, 22 Oct 2019 00:18:44 +0100, wrote:

On Mon, 21 Oct 2019 22:15:15 +0100, "Commander Kinsey"
wrote:

On Mon, 21 Oct 2019 21:59:03 +0100, Robert wrote:

On 21/10/2019 20:54, Rod Speed wrote:
Commander Kinsey wrote
Why can't I find a heat pump with a good SEER rating? The USA has a
law stating 13 minimum. Yet here in the UK, I looked at Panasonic and
they're all 7 to 11!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Season...ficiency_ratio
Which suggests that the seasonal weighting parameters used in the US ,
Europe and possibly UK are all different which will give very different
figures.

Surely all SEER are the same, all EER are the same, and all COP are the same?

From Wikipedia
"In the United Kingdom, a Seasonal Energy Efficiency ratio (SEER) for
refrigeration and air conditioning products, similar to the ESEER but
with different load profile weighting factors, is used for part of the
Building Regulations Part L calculations within the Simplified
Building Energy Model (SBEM) software, and are used in the production
of Energy Performance Certificates (EPC) for new buildings within the
UK and the European Union; both as part of the European directive on
the energy performance of buildings (EPBD"

Since most of this stuff comes from China anyway I would be surprised
it is that much different if at all. This really might just be the way
they get rated in UK. I know most HVAC people say that SEER thing is
bull**** anyway as soon as they get away from the salesman..

It amuses me that SEER is mostly used in America, but it uses *British* Thermal Units in the calculation!!

Farther down in that article they link the US SEER calculation model
that is different but the US uses the same SEER across the country.
When people turn on the A/C, the temp is probably going to be the same
whether you are in Florida or Chicago. In fact those northerners may
actually be more sensitive to a warm day than we are. I know the snow
birds seem to die down here when it is 80 and my wife might still be
wearing a sweater. OTOH at night she wants it 65-70 in the bedroom.