Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Flat Wrenches

"Bob La Londe" wrote in message
I'm sure most production flat wrenches are punched out of a piece of
sheet, and deburred.

I need to make a couple flat wrenches for some collet chuck tool
holders, but I neither have such a huge press, a desire to make a
punch and die for one of each tool, nor stock on hand of suitable
thickness. What I have handy is 1" thick flat bar. I was thinking I
might cut my wrenches into the top surface of the flat bar, slice
them off with the bandsaw, and then grind them roughly flat with a
bench top belt sander.

Dull circular saw blades can be annealed, shaped into tools and
hardened. Tin can steel makes an adequate one-use heat treating pouch
to minimize scaling. I got my stock of dull blades from a carpenter
who was cleaning out his truck, and use my wood stove to heat them.