Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default One car key.....

In article ,
Chris Bartram wrote:
On 15/10/2019 16:49, Max Demian wrote:
On 15/10/2019 14:18, David wrote:
On Tuesday, 15 October 2019 13:35:09 UTC+1, Jim GM4DHJ ... wrote:
I bought a car with only one key....what if I cut the key open and glue
the chip to the ignition switch and get a couple of keys cut.....thus
avoiding dealer costs in getting new keys?

As long as you're not that bothered about it being stolen, or
receiving any payout from your insurance, then go for it.

The insurer won't know if it's nicked.

If it is recovered damaged, they may start to question how it was
started.

You don't need the keys for that on at least some makes. It can be done
via the diagnostic port using software a thief wouldn't find it hard to
get.

--
*If at first you do succeed, try not to look too astonished.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.