Posted to uk.d-i-y
Rod Speed Rod Speed is offline

Default One car key.....

"alan_m" wrote in message
On 15/10/2019 17:34, Rod Speed wrote:

"Jim GM4DHJ ..." wrote in message
I bought a car with only one key....what if I cut the key open and glue
the chip to the ignition switch and get a couple of keys cut.....thus
avoiding dealer costs in getting new keys?

Should work fine but with some downsides.

Mine is smart enough to work out when the
key is out of the car and turns the headlights
and side lights off when you get out of the car
without turning them off manually.

And you likely will lose the remote lock and
unlock without using the physical key too.

Some cars set the alarm (after a delay) when you remove the key from the
car.

But with the chip glued to the switch, it wouldnt
be able to do that and so you would have to
manually lock the doors when leaving the car.

Tho he later said that it has a separate remote
so its unlikely that car does automatically set the
alarm after a delay having observed the key leaving.