Posted to uk.d-i-y
alan_m alan_m is offline

Default One car key.....

On 15/10/2019 17:34, Rod Speed wrote:

"Jim GM4DHJ ..." wrote in message
I bought a car with only one key....what if I cut the key open and
glue the chip to the ignition switch and get a couple of keys
cut.....thus avoiding dealer costs in getting new keys?

Should work fine but with some downsides.

Mine is smart enough to work out when the
key is out of the car and turns the headlights
and side lights off when you get out of the car
without turning them off manually.

And you likely will lose the remote lock and
unlock without using the physical key too.

Some cars set the alarm (after a delay) when you remove the key from the
car.