Posted to uk.d-i-y
Rod Speed Rod Speed is offline

Default LED panel ceiling lights

"John Rumm" wrote in message
o.uk...
On 12/10/2019 12:46, wrote:
On 11/10/2019 19:09, dennis@home wrote:

they also do a smart LED panel

https://www.ikea.com/gb/en/p/floalt-...trum-40436316/

which can be dimmed and has warm to daylight settings using the tradfri
system or hue.

I don't feel comfortable with the idea of lighting being dependant on
wireless or remote control. I just want it to work when I operate a
switch.

Remote control can be ok but it can also have its downsides...

I placed RGB LED tape lighting on the top of my bookcase and media unit[1]
such that you can illuminate the white ceiling for some soft reflected
light. I find for movie watching setting the one behind me on a low level
and set to a yellow/orangy light is just right for some background
lighting.

They are controlled by a small IR remote. The selectivity of the receiver
is narrow enough that the one remote will control each independently just
by pointing the the general direction of the right one. The only fly in
the ointment is there is remote control code overlap with my Oppo blueray
player. Pause a disc, and the lights go cyan, eject one, and they go into
colour cycling disco mode!

[1]

This one behind the sofa:

http://wiki.diyfaq.org.uk/index.php/...e_and_cupboard

and

http://wiki.diyfaq.org.uk/index.php/...n_media_centre

Not a problem with a fully integrated system like Hue/Homekit.

Trivial to program the remote so it only ever does what you want.

Main current lack is decent led flat panels.