Jim Beaver

Default Cracks in new hardwood floors

"Doug" wrote in message
ink.net...
Jim,
I have the "real" ash hardwood floors in my home. This was the first
winter that they went through. I installed it myself and there were some
gaps but not too many. 2 credit cards seems a little wide but not totally
unusual. Keep in mind that wood is a natural fiberous product that will
acclimate to it's environment...no matter what you try and do. Personally

prefer the look/sound of real wood floors any day compared to the

engineered
floors. If you wanted a gap free floor you should've put in pergo. As

long
as you're not snagging your socks on it I would view it as character.

I think this goes beyond "character." The number and width of the cracks
has increased so much that virtually everyone who steps into my house says,
"What's wrong with your floors?" My contractor (not the sub-contractor who
put the floors in) says he's never seen anything like it. I do in fact snag
my socks on the cracks, often and repeatedly. Two credit cards is now the
minimum width of the cracks--they've all widened to as much as four or five
credit-card thicknesses.

The waiver I signed read as follows: "It is recommended that the 1/2" x 2"
select red oak flooring have an acclimation period of two weeks after
installation. Due to time perimeters the contractor has chosen to have the
newly installed floors acclimate for only one week and shall hold [the
company] harmeless of any possible cupping or other natural conditions."

There is no sign of cupping. Just wide, wide cracks between probably forty
percent of the boards in the house. The flooring sub-contractor has stated
in his defense not that this is a serious flaw due to a shortened
acclimation time, but that these cracks are normal and will close up in the
summer (when it doesn't rain for months on end? How does that work?
They're shrinking during the most humid part of the year here in Southern
California.)

Any further ideas?

Jim Beaver