Posted to uk.d-i-y
[email protected] nothanks@aolbin.com is offline

Default LED panel ceiling lights

On 11/10/2019 14:44, John Rumm wrote:
On 11/10/2019 10:14, wrote:
Earlier I asked about downlighters and several replies suggested LED
panels, having experimented with a few types of downlighters I'm
unimpressed so want to explore the options with LED panels. The
problem is that it's not possible to look at them in shops, or to pick
one up (cheaply) to experiment with, so I hope there's a bit more
experience with them out there in uk.d-i-y.

The circular panels penetrate the ceiling but I can't find any mention
of them being "fire rated", are there any that are? If not, what do
people do?
It seems that some (most?) of the rectangular and square panels can
sit under an unbroken ceiling, which would be wise because when one
fails it probably won't be easy to find a replacement to fit into a
girt big hole.
What are people's experiences with these panels?
Prices seem to vary from tens of pounds to hundreds for similar light
output. I'm loath to fork out for two or three at £150, or so, each.
Are there any makes/models to look for or avoid?

You can get surface mounting frames for most of them, so they can be
installed without a false ceiling etc, and no need for a big lump out of
the fire break. e.g.:

https://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Main_In...200/index.html

(reports from a mate of mine who has one like that over a workbench are
very favourable - bright even shadow free illumination)

Thanks.
I've been concerned about taking the plunge without trying but have just
seen that they, and others, accept returns (with a possible 15% stocking
charge and postage) so this seems like a fairly low cost way to explore
and not be stuck with a £100 panel.