Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Leon Fisk[_2_] Leon Fisk[_2_] is offline

Default Welding vs. Tapping vs. Roll Pin

On Thu, 10 Oct 2019 23:28:15 -0700 (PDT)
wrote:

snip
This is actually another video game related project. You
know the standard ball-top video game joystick? I plan to
take them apart so I can make the joystick shafts longer.

Here's why. The bottom of most joysticks poke through holes
in little metal plates. These are called restrictors.
(Diamond shaped holes are used for a 4-way joystick). As a
result, the movement of the joystick is restricted in the
desired 4 directions (usually up, down, right, & left).
This makes switch activation a lot more accurate.

I plan to remove the joysticks default restrictor so I can
use a special restrictor I designed, which will be located
at a lower position, therefore I need longer joysticks.

It the ball/knob on top screws off can you just add on there?

Maybe a coupler to match the old shaft thread and threaded on
the opposite end to match old ball.

A completely new, longer shaft to replace the old I think is the best
solution. I've watched people play before and they get excited,
upset... and way more pressure than needed gets applied to those
controllers

--
Leon Fisk
Grand Rapids MI