Posted to uk.d-i-y
Commander Kinsey Commander Kinsey is offline

Default Why do LEDs generate heat?

On Thu, 10 Oct 2019 13:35:52 +0100, whisky-dave wrote:

On Thursday, 10 October 2019 11:49:51 UTC+1, Max Demian wrote:
On 10/10/2019 00:16, Commander Kinsey wrote:
On Wed, 09 Oct 2019 22:33:40 +0100, Max Demian
wrote:

On 09/10/2019 16:54, whisky-dave wrote:
On Wednesday, 9 October 2019 14:59:22 UTC+1, Commander Kinsey wrote:

So what do washing machines use, AC or DC?

Water and some sort of cleaning chemicals dependent on personal choice.

A few years ago Which? reviewed a washing machine that didn't use
detergent: it sort of passed an electric current through the water. I
don't know how good it was: apparently washing normally with detergent
uses some kind of electric charge to clean fabric as just passing the
water through the fibres isn't enough to remove the dirt.

Do you have a link? Google ain't working.

For the latter, I was thinking of the following - click on "show
transcript":
https://www.abc.net.au/radionational...t-one/10994412
https://www.abc.net.au/radionational...t-two/11020360

Not electrical, as I (mis)remembered: The detergent (presumably - it
doesn't actually say) loosens the dirt in the tiny channels in the
fabric, then, when rinsing in clean water, the detergent diffuses out
taking the dirt with it. So it's the rinsing that removes the dirt: it's
not just to remove the detergent.

I can't find a reference to Which?'s "electric washing machine." It was
some years ago.

Isn't that similar to how ultrasonic cleaners worked in that the molecules of water vibrated and dislodged the dirt, they were used for some circuit boards but mainly for jewlery, Maplin had one for sale years back.

I wasn't aware they'd stopped being used. I'm sure I've seen them for sale in the last year or 3. There isn't anything easier to use.