Posted to uk.d-i-y
Tim+[_5_] Tim+[_5_] is offline

Default Thermostatic mixing valve problem

Chris Hogg wrote:
On 10 Oct 2019 09:08:04 GMT, Tim+ wrote:

A while back a friend asked me if there was any way he could have a warm
water supply outside for washing his dog.

As there was easy access to hot and cold supplies inside I fitted one of
these. https://www.bes.co.uk/thermostatic-m...-3-15mm-12162?

Before purchase I checked with the manufacturer that it was suitable for a
mixed mains pressure cold feed and gravity fed HW.

It worked fine for several months but then water stopped coming out of the
tap. Sometimes if you waited the flow would start and it would produce
premixed warm water. Eventually it stopped working altogether.

Thinking that he’d just been unlucky my friend opted to buy a new valve and
now a month after fitting the same thing is happening. All rather
annoying.

Before fitting the new valve I blew through the non-return valves and
discovered that they needed a fair bit of pressure to persuade the valve to
“crack open” the first time, after that they seemed to open reasonably
easily.

It seems likely to me that the HW non-return valve is sticking on its seat,
perhaps because it’s being exposed to reverse mains pressure cold water
when the outside tap is off.

Now I’m sure I could disassemble the things and blow through the valve
again to free it but I would really rather not have to keep doing this.
One thought that occurs to me is that if I could think of a simple way to
produce an upstream “pressure pulse” above the non-return valve I could pop
it off it’s sticky seat.

Long term answer may be to just go back to external H & C taps but he does
like the pre-mixed warm water.

Any suggestions?

Tim

Pressure regulator in the cold feed to the mixer? Something like one
of these http://tinyurl.com/y24eahz4 There's even an H&C pressure
equaliser there.

That might be the easiest option. Thanks, Ill think about it.

Tim

--
Please don't feed the trolls