Posted to uk.d-i-y
Robin Robin is offline

Default Headset to PC converter?

On 09/10/2019 11:49, T i m wrote:
On Wed, 9 Oct 2019 09:31:24 +0100, Robin wrote:

On 08/10/2019 23:40, Dave W wrote:
On Tue, 08 Oct 2019 20:45:22 +0100, T i m wrote:

On Tue, 8 Oct 2019 12:04:45 -0700 (PDT),
wrote:

On Tuesday, 8 October 2019 18:43:52 UTC+1, T i m wrote:
We are looking for a straight cable converter that would take a 3.5mm
4 pole jack that would typically connect a headset into a Playstation
or X-Box but split it out into a 3.5mm 'stereo' jack (headphones) and
a 2.5mm (mono?) jack for the mic?

Plugs are male, jacks are female.

Not here in England they aren't:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phone_connector_(audio)#Other_terms

The caption to the second picture on that page says otherwise.

Supported by the OED:

"1953 W. MacLanachan Television & Radar Encycl. 103/2 Jack and Jack
plug, a socket with two or more contacts..into which a jack plug with
corresponding contacts can be inserted"

And the way telephone lines are terminated with a line jack unit.

And that all may be so, but isn't necessarily taking into account the
UK usage of the term in general usage (not just telephones, where a
round plug hasn't been used (domestically) for *years* (if ever?)).

You seem now to be claiming that a "jack" refers only to /round/ sockets
and plugs. And that we don't have line jacks on phone lines. On that
please read on.

"In the UK, the terms jack plug and jack socket are commonly used for
the respective male and female phone connectors."

In contrast with:

"In the US, a stationary (more fixed) electrical connector is called a
jack.[3][4] The terms phone plug and phone jack are sometimes used to
refer to different genders of phone connectors,"

Like I said, 'here in the UK' (in 2019 ... ;-)

https://cpc.farnell.com/search?st=3.5mm%20jack%20plug
https://cpc.farnell.com/search?st=3.5mm%20jack%20socket

Since you seem to think a couple of entries from CPC carry more weight
than the OED please have a look at

https://www.cablemonkey.co.uk/voice-...ack-units.html

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Telephone-E.../dp/B00NGSJMUW

and the others at

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=%22line+jack+unit%22&source=lnms&tbm=isch &sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwiWga3gho_lAhVhQEEAHQijDb0Q_AUIEig C&biw=1920&bih=1009

And BTW it's not just the OED.

"a female fitting in an electric circuit used with a plug to make a
connection with another circuit"

https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/jack

"a hole into which a wire connected to a piece of electrical equipment
can be plugged so that the equipment can operate: "

https://dictionary.cambridge.org/dic...y/english/jack

I offer this more in hope than expectation.

--
Robin