Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Headset to PC converter?

We are looking for a straight cable converter that would take a 3.5mm
4 pole jack that would typically connect a headset into a Playstation
or X-Box but split it out into a 3.5mm 'stereo' jack (headphones) and
a 2.5mm (mono?) jack for the mic?

It seems you can easily find them the other way round (two female
jacks into one male 4 pole plug) so I was wondering if there was a
technical reason why what we want to do isn't possible?

I think some PC mics were / are 'electret' (is it, 'powered') and so
require a 'stereo' plug (sig, power, gnd) so maybe that's something to
do with it?

Cheers, T i m
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tuesday, 8 October 2019 18:43:52 UTC+1, T i m wrote:
We are looking for a straight cable converter that would take a 3.5mm
4 pole jack that would typically connect a headset into a Playstation
or X-Box but split it out into a 3.5mm 'stereo' jack (headphones) and
a 2.5mm (mono?) jack for the mic?

Plugs are male, jacks are female.

It seems you can easily find them the other way round (two female
jacks into one male 4 pole plug) so I was wondering if there was a
technical reason why what we want to do isn't possible?

This is two male plugs and one female jack, I don't know if it's exactly what you require, but there are loads on Ebay/Google Shopping etc

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/splitter/333213876600

Two Male Ports: One for Headphone Jack on your PC/Laptop/phone, the other for Mic Jack on your PC/Laptop/phone.

Owain
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 8 Oct 2019 12:04:45 -0700 (PDT),
wrote:

On Tuesday, 8 October 2019 18:43:52 UTC+1, T i m wrote:
We are looking for a straight cable converter that would take a 3.5mm
4 pole jack that would typically connect a headset into a Playstation
or X-Box but split it out into a 3.5mm 'stereo' jack (headphones) and
a 2.5mm (mono?) jack for the mic?

Plugs are male, jacks are female.

Not here in England they aren't:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phone_connector_(audio)#Other_terms

I've always used the format diameter, poles, 'Jack' gender

eg: 3.5mm, stereo (so 3 connections), Jack plug.

1/4" mono Jack chassis socket?

Where the 'Jack' bit describes a tubular type connector.

It seems you can easily find them the other way round (two female
jacks into one male 4 pole plug) so I was wondering if there was a
technical reason why what we want to do isn't possible?

This is two male plugs

What type of 'plug' though? ;-)

and one female jack,

Ah, a 'jack socket'. ;-)

I don't know if it's exactly what you require, but there are loads on Ebay/Google Shopping etc

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/splitter/333213876600

I think that's exactly the thing I was thinking about mate (cheers)
but confusing with the 2.5mm's as used on the Mic for PMR / Walkie
Talkie stuff. I blame the cold ... sniff ;-(

Two Male Ports: One for Headphone Jack on your PC/Laptop/phone, the other for Mic Jack on your PC/Laptop/phone.

Yeah, but the bit that rarely seems clear with most of these ads is if
the socket part is 4 pole or not?

Given the sleeve is one connector, a 4 pole headset would be L/R/M/Gnd
(not in that particular order etc). Given that then split into 2 x 3
pole where one connector on each plug is ground (so 5 individual
connections), what happens to the 'extra / missing' connection?

Daughter had her first online OU tutorial for her Open Degree tonight
and had picked up a headset that was supposed to work with 'PC's' but
only if they came with a suitable 4 pole connector or you buy the
extra converter. 'Luckily', few if any used the mic function so little
was lost. ;-)

I'll pick up a splitter for her ready for next time tho. Thanks.

Cheers, T i m

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tuesday, 8 October 2019 20:45:22 UTC+1, T i m wrote:
Plugs are male, jacks are female.

Not here in England they aren't:

Yes they are.

https://books.google.co.uk/books?id=...=plug+and+jack

3rd quote from page 355.

Daughter had her first online OU tutorial for her Open Degree tonight
and had picked up a headset that was supposed to work with 'PC's' but
only if they came with a suitable 4 pole connector or you buy the
extra converter. 'Luckily', few if any used the mic function so little
was lost. ;-)

USB headsets are pretty cheap and avoid most audio interfacing problems. I picked up a Plantronics Blackwire 5220 USB one £10 in the Cancer Research shop recently. I haven't got it to work with Dragon Dictate yet though.

Owain

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 8 Oct 2019 13:01:05 -0700 (PDT),
wrote:

On Tuesday, 8 October 2019 20:45:22 UTC+1, T i m wrote:
Plugs are male, jacks are female.

Not here in England they aren't:

Yes they are.

https://books.google.co.uk/books?id=...=plug+and+jack

3rd quote from page 355.

Ah, but the 'accepted use' may have moved on since that nice Mr A G
Bell wrote that. ;-)

(Or since I had to completely re-wire a PABX for my BT
apprenticeship). ;-)

Daughter had her first online OU tutorial for her Open Degree tonight
and had picked up a headset that was supposed to work with 'PC's' but
only if they came with a suitable 4 pole connector or you buy the
extra converter. 'Luckily', few if any used the mic function so little
was lost. ;-)

USB headsets are pretty cheap and avoid most audio interfacing problems.

Possibly not so flexible re using them on an old TV or radio but could
be a good solution for daughter in this case. I nearly suggested a
basic USB audio dongle but didn't for the above reason.

I picked up a Plantronics Blackwire 5220 USB one £10 in the Cancer Research shop recently.

Sounds like a result.

I haven't got it to work with Dragon Dictate yet though.

And that's the whole KISS thing isn't it.

I've recently used a couple of Shuttle slimline PC's on big TV's for
the likes of Netflix and Youtube (more flexible than those old Smart
TVs) and the default default output seems to be the std audio
connections, requiring you to go into the audio settings and point it
towards the HDMI.

Cheers, T i m
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tuesday, 8 October 2019 21:38:38 UTC+1, T i m wrote:
3rd quote from page 355.

Ah, but the 'accepted use' may have moved on since that nice Mr A G
Bell wrote that. ;-)

That was the even nicer Mr Atkinson ;-)

(Or since I had to completely re-wire a PABX for my BT
apprenticeship). ;-)

I have a 6+16 Panasonic in the spare bedroom and a couple of Plan 107 in the lounge.

I picked up a Plantronics Blackwire 5220 USB one £10 in the Cancer
Research shop recently.

Sounds like a result.

I think they still have one left.

Owain

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"T i m" wrote in message
We are looking for a straight cable converter that would take a 3.5mm
4 pole jack that would typically connect a headset into a Playstation
or X-Box but split it out into a 3.5mm 'stereo' jack (headphones) and
a 2.5mm (mono?) jack for the mic?

It seems you can easily find them the other way round (two female
jacks into one male 4 pole plug) so I was wondering if there was a
technical reason why what we want to do isn't possible?

Nope, just not commonly needed is the only reason.

I think some PC mics were / are 'electret' (is it, 'powered') and so
require a 'stereo' plug (sig, power, gnd) so maybe that's something to
do with it?

Just something you need to allow for.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 9 Oct 2019 08:40:04 +1100, cantankerous trolling geezer Rodent

Just something you need to allow for.

****, you HAD to **** also in this thread, eh, you filthy 85-year-old
trolling senile asshole?

--
Bill Wright to Rot Speed:
"That confirms my opinion that you are a despicable little ****."

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tuesday, 8 October 2019 22:40:55 UTC+1, T i m wrote:
Did I describe it correctly above? 'Dolls eye exchange', Jacks on
weighted cords with toggle switches and a operator position with
rotary dial and headset?

That would be a PMBX - manual exchange. Unless it was a PABX with a cord board like a PABX2

https://www.britishtelephones.com/pabx2.htm

I picked up a Plantronics Blackwire 5220 USB one £10 in the Cancer
Research shop recently.
Sounds like a result.

I think they still have one left.

Were they new OOI?

I assume not, as not in boxes etc. Works fine for talk and listen, just haveb't got the driver to talk to Dragon yet. Which may be Dragon's fault of course as it is about 10 years old.

Owain

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 8 Oct 2019 23:47:01 -0700 (PDT),
wrote:

On Tuesday, 8 October 2019 22:40:55 UTC+1, T i m wrote:
Did I describe it correctly above? 'Dolls eye exchange', Jacks on
weighted cords with toggle switches and a operator position with
rotary dial and headset?

That would be a PMBX - manual exchange. Unless it was a PABX with a cord board like a PABX2

https://www.britishtelephones.com/pabx2.htm

From memory it was more like the one on the right he

https://www.britishtelephones.com/swat3796.htm

I also think I remember it opening up sideways with the main loom
running up / down the lhs.

After training you on all the repair and adjustment of all the
components it used (inc the 'Dolls eye indicators'), they handed you
cabinet that had been wired by a previous tech and then the loom cut
though. You had to de-solder everything, make up a wiring nail-board
from the diagram and cabinet measurements and then draw up a wiring
list. You would lay out the wiring on said board, lace and release
from the board. You would then wire the cabinet, test and once happy,
submit for test and examination. Once passed you got your score and
they cut though the main loom again ready for the next trainee. ;-(

I picked up a Plantronics Blackwire 5220 USB one £10 in the Cancer
Research shop recently.
Sounds like a result.
I think they still have one left.

Were they new OOI?

I assume not, as not in boxes etc.

Ok.

Works fine for talk and listen, just haveb't got the driver to talk to Dragon yet. Which may be Dragon's fault of course as it is about 10 years old.

My first foray into voice recognition was DD and probably on a 386.
;-)

Cheers, T i m
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 9 Oct 2019 09:31:24 +0100, Robin wrote:

wrote:

On Tuesday, 8 October 2019 18:43:52 UTC+1, T i m wrote:
We are looking for a straight cable converter that would take a 3.5mm
4 pole jack that would typically connect a headset into a Playstation
or X-Box but split it out into a 3.5mm 'stereo' jack (headphones) and
a 2.5mm (mono?) jack for the mic?

Plugs are male, jacks are female.

Not here in England they aren't:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phone_connector_(audio)#Other_terms

The caption to the second picture on that page says otherwise.

Supported by the OED:

"1953 W. MacLanachan Television & Radar Encycl. 103/2 Jack and Jack
plug, a socket with two or more contacts..into which a jack plug with
corresponding contacts can be inserted"

And the way telephone lines are terminated with a line jack unit.

And that all may be so, but isn't necessarily taking into account the
UK usage of the term in general usage (not just telephones, where a
round plug hasn't been used (domestically) for *years* (if ever?)).

"In the UK, the terms jack plug and jack socket are commonly used for
the respective male and female phone connectors."

In contrast with:

"In the US, a stationary (more fixed) electrical connector is called a
jack.[3][4] The terms phone plug and phone jack are sometimes used to
refer to different genders of phone connectors,"

Like I said, 'here in the UK' (in 2019 ... ;-)

https://cpc.farnell.com/search?st=3.5mm%20jack%20plug
https://cpc.farnell.com/search?st=3.5mm%20jack%20socket

Cheers, T i m
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

[...]

You seem now to be claiming that a "jack" refers only to /round/ sockets
and plugs. And that we don't have line jacks on phone lines. On that
please read on.

"In the UK, the terms jack plug and jack socket are commonly used for
the respective male and female phone connectors."

In contrast with:

"In the US, a stationary (more fixed) electrical connector is called a
jack.[3][4] The terms phone plug and phone jack are sometimes used to
refer to different genders of phone connectors,"

Like I said, 'here in the UK' (in 2019 ... ;-)

https://cpc.farnell.com/search?st=3.5mm%20jack%20plug
https://cpc.farnell.com/search?st=3.5mm%20jack%20socket

Since you seem to think a couple of entries from CPC carry more weight
than the OED please have a look at

https://www.cablemonkey.co.uk/voice-...ack-units.html

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Telephone-E.../dp/B00NGSJMUW

and the others at

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=%22line+jack+unit%22&source=lnms&tbm=isch &sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwiWga3gho_lAhVhQEEAHQijDb0Q_AUIEig C&biw=1920&bih=1009

And BTW it's not just the OED.

"a female fitting in an electric circuit used with a plug to make a
connection with another circuit"

https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/jack

"a hole into which a wire connected to a piece of electrical equipment
can be plugged so that the equipment can operate: "

https://dictionary.cambridge.org/dic...y/english/jack

I offer this more in hope than expectation.

--
Robin
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 9 Oct 2019 12:17:46 +0100, Robin wrote:

snip

And the way telephone lines are terminated with a line jack unit.

And that all may be so, but isn't necessarily taking into account the
UK usage of the term in general usage (not just telephones, where a
round plug hasn't been used (domestically) for *years* (if ever?)).

You seem now to be claiming that a "jack" refers only to /round/ sockets
and plugs.

Only if you can only consider things in black and white?

I am suggesting that the convention around the sort of things this
post was about (headphones etc) use a 'jack plug / socket' in the way
most people would consider the use of the term.

And that we don't have line jacks on phone lines. On that
please read on.

"In the UK, the terms jack plug and jack socket are commonly used for
the respective male and female phone connectors."

In contrast with:

"In the US, a stationary (more fixed) electrical connector is called a
jack.[3][4] The terms phone plug and phone jack are sometimes used to
refer to different genders of phone connectors,"

Like I said, 'here in the UK' (in 2019 ... ;-)

https://cpc.farnell.com/search?st=3.5mm%20jack%20plug
https://cpc.farnell.com/search?st=3.5mm%20jack%20socket

Since you seem to think a couple of entries from CPC carry more weight
than the OED

Again, only if you are taking my offerings out of context.

please have a look at

https://www.cablemonkey.co.uk/voice-...ack-units.html

Yup, specifics around telephony and probably historic from the days of
A G Bell. ;-)

snip

https://dictionary.cambridge.org/dic...y/english/jack

I offer this more in hope than expectation.

As well you might (when seen in context). ;-)

https://dictionary.cambridge.org/ima...version=5.0.48

When BT or any of the BB customer service personnel are talking a
domestic subscriber though a phone fault / issue do you think they
refer to 'jacks' or 'plugs and sockets', when getting the person to
'unplug' say a filter and plug a phone back in directly?

How a BT engineer (or someone trapped in the 1800's g) might talk to
another is a different matter because they will often be using
historic terms and / or terms specific to their trade.

To be clear, I'm not suggesting for one second that some people don't
refer to some connectors in ways that most people don't (and that
doing so is wrong). Just that most people don't and especially in this
country. ;-)

For 'most people' a plug is the male part (eg. 13A plug) and the
socket the receptacle it plugs into. This is very obvious with things
like the std UK 13A plug as it has very obvious prongs that suggest
the 'male' part or 'plug'.

However, there are many connectors that may have a physical male
electrical part that is contained in a female mechanical part, that
can lead to some confusion.

Then you have the 'genderless' (hermaphroditic) connectors, like the
Anderson Powerpole range.

Cheers, T i m
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 09/10/2019 13:49, T i m wrote:
[...]

You cited a couple of CPC entries in support of your claim. Now you
dismiss a plethora of counter-examples. I see no point in further
comment, save that I am reminded some think "jack" (meaning "socket")
was the source of "jacksie" (as in "talking out of his jacksie").

--
Robin
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 9 Oct 2019 14:12:10 +0100, Robin wrote:

snip

You cited a couple of CPC entries in support of your claim.

I'm not making any 'claim' mate and really GDAF if you 'get' what I am
saying or not?

Now you
dismiss a plethora of counter-examples.

I only 'dismiss' them because they go no way to being relevant to the
topic or my point.

I see no point in further
comment, save that I am reminded some think "jack" (meaning "socket")
was the source of "jacksie" (as in "talking out of his jacksie").

Thanks for sharing. ;-)

Cheers, T i m

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tuesday, 8 October 2019 22:40:55 UTC+1, T i m wrote:
I picked up a Plantronics Blackwire 5220 USB one £10 in the Cancer
Research shop recently.

I think they still have one left.

They did earlier today.

https://smile.amazon.co.uk/Plantroni...dp/B0746QNCJQ/

If you want me to get it for you email me through the form at wubwubwub stirlingcity co yuk slash contact

Owain

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 9 Oct 2019 09:18:18 -0700 (PDT),
wrote:

On Tuesday, 8 October 2019 22:40:55 UTC+1, T i m wrote:
I picked up a Plantronics Blackwire 5220 USB one £10 in the Cancer
Research shop recently.
I think they still have one left.

They did earlier today.

https://smile.amazon.co.uk/Plantroni...dp/B0746QNCJQ/

If you want me to get it for you email me through the form at wubwubwub stirlingcity co yuk slash contact

Thanks very much for checking and the kind offer mate.

Daughter has already ordered one of those desktop headphone / speaker
switches with mic mute and volume control so with that and the
splitter I've ordered, she should be good to go with the new headset
she's already got.

She's also thinking of getting a Chromebook for her OU work and I'm
guessing a basic headset stands a better chance of working on that
than anything requiring drivers (and a USB host port) etc.

Thanks again for the offer though. ;-)

Cheers, T i m

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 09/10/2019 16:50, charles wrote:

wrote:

[...]

They certainly have been used - I've still got one of the sockets in my
'box of bits'.

I thought you might also have met them with Prestel.

There's a "rogues' gallery" of some of the old ones at

https://www.britishtelephones.com/menujack.htm

and if you've got the plug too

https://www.britishtelephones.com/parts/plugs.htm

--
Robin
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

[...]

Mine is a 95A

and if you've got the plug too

https://www.britishtelephones.com/parts/plugs.htm

--
from KT24 in Surrey, England

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wednesday, 9 October 2019 20:52:50 UTC+1, T i m wrote:
She's also thinking of getting a Chromebook for her OU work and I'm
guessing a basic headset stands a better chance of working on that
than anything requiring drivers (and a USB host port) etc.

Actually the Plantronics h/s can be unplugged from its USB adapter to reveal a 4 pole plug, but I don't know whether it's Android compatible.

Owain