Posted to uk.d-i-y
Rod Speed Rod Speed is offline

Default alarm batteries

"ARW" wrote in message
On 07/10/2019 07:42, alan_m wrote:
On 07/10/2019 05:30, Andy Burns wrote:
Just had a power cut (70 minutes not too bad a fix time for an 11kV
fault I suppose)

OK, I did have to get up to silence the UPS (also shut down a couple of
unnecessary PCs while at it to extend runtime)

But most annoying is the 15 minutes of alarms sounding due to failed
batteries, then sounding again for another 15 minutes when the power
comes back ...

People seem to think this is normal/acceptable ...

No, that's why I change my battery in my alarm every 3 years.

Power to Auckley (a village in Doncaster) was to be cut off for a day to
allow power lines to be changed.

Just before 9am I had wired a 3ph generator up ready to power the local
pub.

At bang on 9am all the alarms went off.

Didnt happen here. We had the mains off for 3 hours to replace a couple
of power poles which have the 11KV distribution line on the top with the
4 wire 240/415 service below that. When the mains went off at the
announced 9:30 presumably to minimise any disruption for those who
had kids going to school etc, not one alarm went off. And none when
the power came back at 12:30 either.

I didnt bother setting up the generator, decided to have my usual
daytime nap at 9:30 and planned to read some ebooks on the kindle
when I woke up. They said the power would be out till 4pm. Was
dozing at 12:30 when the google home mini announced that the
power was back, asked the monkeys of the power was back for good
and they said that it was.