Posted to uk.d-i-y
T i m T i m is offline

Default Headset to PC converter?

On Tue, 8 Oct 2019 13:01:05 -0700 (PDT),
wrote:

On Tuesday, 8 October 2019 20:45:22 UTC+1, T i m wrote:
Plugs are male, jacks are female.

Not here in England they aren't:

Yes they are.

https://books.google.co.uk/books?id=...=plug+and+jack

3rd quote from page 355.

Ah, but the 'accepted use' may have moved on since that nice Mr A G
Bell wrote that. ;-)

(Or since I had to completely re-wire a PABX for my BT
apprenticeship). ;-)

Daughter had her first online OU tutorial for her Open Degree tonight
and had picked up a headset that was supposed to work with 'PC's' but
only if they came with a suitable 4 pole connector or you buy the
extra converter. 'Luckily', few if any used the mic function so little
was lost. ;-)

USB headsets are pretty cheap and avoid most audio interfacing problems.

Possibly not so flexible re using them on an old TV or radio but could
be a good solution for daughter in this case. I nearly suggested a
basic USB audio dongle but didn't for the above reason.

I picked up a Plantronics Blackwire 5220 USB one £10 in the Cancer Research shop recently.

Sounds like a result.

I haven't got it to work with Dragon Dictate yet though.

And that's the whole KISS thing isn't it.

I've recently used a couple of Shuttle slimline PC's on big TV's for
the likes of Netflix and Youtube (more flexible than those old Smart
TVs) and the default default output seems to be the std audio
connections, requiring you to go into the audio settings and point it
towards the HDMI.

Cheers, T i m