Posted to uk.d-i-y
T i m T i m is offline

Default Headset to PC converter?

On Tue, 8 Oct 2019 12:04:45 -0700 (PDT),
wrote:

On Tuesday, 8 October 2019 18:43:52 UTC+1, T i m wrote:
We are looking for a straight cable converter that would take a 3.5mm
4 pole jack that would typically connect a headset into a Playstation
or X-Box but split it out into a 3.5mm 'stereo' jack (headphones) and
a 2.5mm (mono?) jack for the mic?

Plugs are male, jacks are female.

Not here in England they aren't:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phone_connector_(audio)#Other_terms

I've always used the format diameter, poles, 'Jack' gender

eg: 3.5mm, stereo (so 3 connections), Jack plug.

1/4" mono Jack chassis socket?

Where the 'Jack' bit describes a tubular type connector.

It seems you can easily find them the other way round (two female
jacks into one male 4 pole plug) so I was wondering if there was a
technical reason why what we want to do isn't possible?

This is two male plugs

What type of 'plug' though? ;-)

and one female jack,

Ah, a 'jack socket'. ;-)

I don't know if it's exactly what you require, but there are loads on Ebay/Google Shopping etc

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/splitter/333213876600

I think that's exactly the thing I was thinking about mate (cheers)
but confusing with the 2.5mm's as used on the Mic for PMR / Walkie
Talkie stuff. I blame the cold ... sniff ;-(

Two Male Ports: One for Headphone Jack on your PC/Laptop/phone, the other for Mic Jack on your PC/Laptop/phone.

Yeah, but the bit that rarely seems clear with most of these ads is if
the socket part is 4 pole or not?

Given the sleeve is one connector, a 4 pole headset would be L/R/M/Gnd
(not in that particular order etc). Given that then split into 2 x 3
pole where one connector on each plug is ground (so 5 individual
connections), what happens to the 'extra / missing' connection?

Daughter had her first online OU tutorial for her Open Degree tonight
and had picked up a headset that was supposed to work with 'PC's' but
only if they came with a suitable 4 pole connector or you buy the
extra converter. 'Luckily', few if any used the mic function so little
was lost. ;-)

I'll pick up a splitter for her ready for next time tho. Thanks.

Cheers, T i m