Posted to uk.d-i-y
The Other Mike[_3_] The Other Mike[_3_] is offline

Default Lubricating oven rails

On Mon, 07 Oct 2019 19:11:40 +0100, Harry Bloomfield, Esq.
wrote:

Lee Nowell wrote on 07/10/2019 :
Conscious that the oven goes up to about 300c so wondering if WD40 / 3 in 1
oil is ok at these temps or whether it will burn off. I also thought about
vegetable oil.

They would rapidely burn off. I would suggest dry PTFE might do it.

I wouldn't suggest PTFE

Frying pan temperatures are generally ok with PTFE coatings as long as you don't
have an empty pan on a full output ring.

In the environment of an oven it gets slightly more dodgy. 200 deg C would be
ok, but our oven for instance has a top setting of 300 deg C, that is getting
into dodgy territory with PTFE. With a wonky thermostat it only need to rise
to 327 deg C for the PTFE to start liberating some lethal products.

If the oven has catalytic cleaning like ours then it could be a clean oven with
the drawback of a very permanent goodnight for all in the vicinity.

https://www.fluoridealert.org/wp-con...ition.prod.htm

https://chemistry.stackexchange.com/...-decomposition

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Polytetrafluoroethylene