ryeish

Default Pilot light won't light? ? ?

On Sun, 4 Apr 2004 03:31:36 GMT, "Michael Daly"
wrote:

On 3-Apr-2004, ryeish wrote:

But this clicking, sparking sound does occur on the faulty one.

Any suggestions/ideas welcome.

The module that makes the "spark" can be faulty. Remove the steel
cover off of the gas inlet (under the burner). That little
igniter...make sure it's clean. If you have frequent boilovers and
stuff they can foul the igniter. Clean it well; if it still fails
you'll need to replace it. Not sure how much the part is, I had one
done a few years ago (the repair guy told me what caused it, we
haven't had any problems since).

Good answer if you assume the OP's post has a typo and he meant to
say "does _not_ occur".

As well as cleaning, I found that I could get better performance from
one problem burner by slightly bending the steel bit over the sparker
so that the gap between it and the sparker was slightly reduced. If
you look at the other burners and see where the spark forms and jumps
to, you'll understand.

HOWEVER! - I noticed that some of the newer electronic ignition stoves
have a very different design than my older one and this fix is not
likely/possible.

I was also told by a repair person that there are basically only two
versions of electronic ignition (i.e two OEMs) and only one is reliable.
Mine was unlike either of these two types. I haven't looked in a few
years, so there may be newer, improved versions now. IOW, YMMV.

He didn't say if he saw sparking, just that the sound occurs - which
happened with mine too. For some reason it sounds like all of them
click when you turn the one on.