Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Using portable generator to power furnace fan (AC/PSC motor) - yes or no?

On Mon, 7 Oct 2019 09:45:05 -0700 (PDT), trader_4
wrote:

On Monday, October 7, 2019 at 10:33:08 AM UTC-4, Ralph Mowery wrote:
In article ,
says...

I don't even see a regulator or a board. It must be inside the
generator head. There are just 3 wires coming out that go to the box
with the receptacles. You can bring the voltage up by spinning the
generator faster but it isn't 60 hz anymore. The voltage is 115/230 no
matter what the load is so there is a regulator somewhere. There
doesn't seem to be a lot of documentation on this.

The older generators do not have an electronic voltage regulator. They
rely on the governor of the engine to keep the speed/voltage/frequecny
constant.

If so, then Fretwell must have one that's screwed by design or somehow
faulty, because it's only putting out 230V at 60 hz.

I think Ralph has the answer. I already said if there is a regulator,
and my load tests seem to confirm there is, it must be inside the
generator head. Now that I actually see one, I know what to look for.
I am also not shocked that they set it for 115/230. That was the
convention for years. I still might be tempted to leave it alone since
everything but one fridge seems OK where it was. bumping up the
voltage will cause some things to use more power and I am right at the
tripping point now.
If the city is successful in moving us to municipal water I won't need
as much capacity tho because I will lose 1.5 HP worth of pump load.

The newer ones do have an electronic regulator. Here is an example of
how to adjust them.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bjHgH7k-Hu0