Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Using portable generator to power furnace fan (AC/PSC motor) - yes or no?

On Sun, 6 Oct 2019 18:19:50 -0700 (PDT), trader_4
wrote:

On Sunday, October 6, 2019 at 7:59:29 PM UTC-4, wrote:
On Sun, 6 Oct 2019 11:20:59 -0700 (PDT), trader_4
wrote:

On Sunday, October 6, 2019 at 12:51:36 PM UTC-4, wrote:
On Sun, 6 Oct 2019 05:35:12 -0700 (PDT), trader_4
wrote:

I've never seen any study
of what the power actually looks like and what all problems people
encounter.

Now you have. This is the wave form of a cheap 5.5kw Briggs generator
with about 98% load on it.

http://gfretwell.com/Propaneproject/Waveform.jpg

Looks mighty fine to me.

This shoots the hell out of the theory that you need to derate the
generator because you are running on propane ... at least the 5.5
Briggs anyway. Maybe they just oversized the engine tho.
http://gfretwell.com/Propaneproject/Onpropane.jpg

That is 5402 watts. Over 98% of rating.

I see it's only 230V though. With gas would you have 240V? That
would be another 4%. like you imply, it could vary from generator to
generator too.

Funny you should ask No. it is the same
http://gfretwell.com/Propaneproject/Ongasoline.jpg

The frequency is determined by the engine RPM and the voltage will not
change, no matter what fuel you use to get that RPM under that load.

That is my big beef with this generator. It only puts out 115/230 and
I can't find anything to adjust or change to make that 120/240.
By the time that gets 100' away to the fridge at the other end of the
house that is 109 or so, hence this guy.
Next time I will be able to dial that up. That fridge seemed to be the
only thing struggling.

http://gfretwell.com/electrical/Henc%20Variac.jpg

No way to find the voltage sensing circuit that controls the voltage.
There must be a circuit that drives the current to the rotor.
See what it's doing, maybe put a resistor in series to trick it out?
Probably no schematics that show what the board or boards do though.

I suppose it's also possible that it's simply maxed out

I don't even see a regulator or a board. It must be inside the
generator head. There are just 3 wires coming out that go to the box
with the receptacles. You can bring the voltage up by spinning the
generator faster but it isn't 60 hz anymore. The voltage is 115/230 no
matter what the load is so there is a regulator somewhere. There
doesn't seem to be a lot of documentation on this.