Posted to alt.home.repair
danny burstein danny burstein is offline

Default Using portable generator to power furnace fan (AC/PSC motor) - yes or no?

[lots snipped]

My furnace has a conventional AC blower motor - not sure if it's PSC or
some other type. It's either 1/3 or 1/2 hp and doesn't have a large
capacitor either built into it or wired up near by. My 40-year-old
furnace otherwise has NO electronics other than the gas-valve soleniod.
No draft inducers, sensors, vent fans, etc.

Anyone ever run such a motor from one of these small generators?

Just thinking of picking up a generator to run my furnace
(intermittently) in case of any extended winter power outage.

While I have no personal experience, I spoke with one
of the long-term, highly regarded, drinks #6 oil for
breakfast, HVAC folk near our old home and asked him
about backup generators.

He said they had been running into problems with the
various flame/safety sensors, or possibly the ignitors,
or both (?) which monitored teensey, tiny, current
levels, and that these often shut down the furnaces
and boilers 'cuz they'd get wrong readings.

He added that it was super critical to get good
and solid grounding for everything involved.

Again, no personal experience, but it kind of
makes sense.