Posted to alt.home.repair
Hawk Hawk is offline

Default Using portable generator to power furnace fan (AC/PSC motor) -yes or no?

On 10/5/2019 10:27 AM, Home Guy wrote:
I see some small portable generators (3000 - 4000 watt) on sale. $450
(CAD, which is $340 USD) for a Champion generator - I think this one:

https://www.championpowerequipment.c...age-generator/

My furnace has a conventional AC blower motor - not sure if it's PSC or
some other type. It's either 1/3 or 1/2 hp and doesn't have a large
capacitor either built into it or wired up near by. My 40-year-old
furnace otherwise has NO electronics other than the gas-valve soleniod.
No draft inducers, sensors, vent fans, etc.

Anyone ever run such a motor from one of these small generators?

Just thinking of picking up a generator to run my furnace
(intermittently) in case of any extended winter power outage.

If the motor uses less than the 3550 watts for running, then there isn't
a problem, but ensure the motor doesn't require more than the rated 4550
watts for startup or you'll continuously blow the internal fuse. Though,
my question is...where do you plan to keep the generator? It needs to be
vented if kept inside or people in the household will die from CO
poisoning. Even if vented, I wouldn't trust using one indoors.
Generators should always be used outdoors.