Posted to alt.home.repair
[email protected] hubops@ccanoemail.ca is offline

Default Using portable generator to power furnace fan (AC/PSC motor) - yes or no?

On Sat, 05 Oct 2019 10:27:24 -0400, Home Guy wrote:

I see some small portable generators (3000 - 4000 watt) on sale. $450
(CAD, which is $340 USD) for a Champion generator - I think this one:

https://www.championpowerequipment.c...age-generator/

My furnace has a conventional AC blower motor - not sure if it's PSC or
some other type. It's either 1/3 or 1/2 hp and doesn't have a large
capacitor either built into it or wired up near by. My 40-year-old
furnace otherwise has NO electronics other than the gas-valve soleniod.
No draft inducers, sensors, vent fans, etc.
Anyone ever run such a motor from one of these small generators?
Just thinking of picking up a generator to run my furnace
(intermittently) in case of any extended winter power outage.

I would seriously suggest that you go to a slightly bigger & better
make & model - this one doesn't have any 230 volt output.
Also consider that your furnace is probably hard-wired - best to be
prepared for the generator hook-up in advance - not after the power
outage when it's dark & cold & the basement is flooding or freezer is
thawing ..
My Honda EM5000 makes a small dip when the furnace blower starts.
A more noticable dip when the 230 volt well pump starts.
Keep fresh stabilized gas on hand and test-run the generator every 3
or 4 months. Many people shut off the gas valve and run-it-dry
after use or test.
John T.