Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Rob[_40_] Rob[_40_] is offline

Default Does this device exist?

Ralph Mowery wrote:
In article ,
says...

They are available here in the Netherlands, and are/were commonly used
to connect a washer and a dryer to a single circuit.
These boxes cover the same situation, where a washing machine consumes
a lot of power during the phase where it heats the water and could trip
the breaker when a dryer which also uses a lot of power is used at the
same time.

Interisting. I guess where you are at the circuit is around 240 volts
for everything.

Here in the states most washers use 120 volts and the dryers are on the
240 volt circuit. That way they can be ran at the same time as the
wires go back to the breaker box.

I don't know how others do it,but many days my wife will wash 2 or 3
loads of cloths. She will be drying the first load while the 2nd one is
washing to save time.

Here we have 230v line for all purposes (except industrial stuff which
users 3x230v 3-phase, 400v between phases).

The problem would only occur in older installations where there is only
a single circuit of maybe only 10A. Nowadays all circuits in homes
are 230V/16A. So you can use a total of 3.6kW which should be enough,
or else you could have 2 circuits. Main fuse is usually 35A.