Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default WiFi Booster/ Extender

On Wednesday, 2 October 2019 17:36:57 UTC+1, Martin Brown wrote:
On 02/10/2019 15:28, whisky-dave wrote:
On Wednesday, 2 October 2019 14:02:25 UTC+1, wrote:
Martin Brown expressed precisely :
They work OK for projecting the signal into the room. More so if you have one
that accepts a wired internet feed and broadcasts that.

Simple minded plug and play Wifi extenders use up to half the available
bandwidth communicating with the base station.

An old / spare router modem is much more useful, wired to a the main
router and usualy free.

Part of the problem would be having to have it wired, as that would mostly negate it's usefulness.

Depends what you are trying to do.

I thought the idea was to have wireless exdended.

I wanted to have a new Wifi network
covering the parts of the house that the base station was weak in and so
did it by sharing and stealing some of the wired bandwidth for the TV.

Most Wifi extenders come configured to be almost plug and play network
rebroadcasters on the same channel(s) just needing a password and with a
simple web interface to set them up.

I know I set one up for my brother.
I used to have an intercom that worked the same, in that it uses the mains cable on the ring main, so there was NO need for an aditional cable.

Configuring a router to do this is
often possible but involves a lot of reconfiguration.

I don;t think that is possible with the BT router my brother had.

Ethernet over mains is OK if you only have a small number of remote
nodes that can be wired. It annoys RSGB members a bit.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown