Posted to uk.d-i-y
T i m T i m is offline

Default WiFi Booster/ Extender

On Wed, 2 Oct 2019 17:36:53 +0100, Martin Brown
wrote:
snip

Most Wifi extenders come configured to be almost plug and play network
rebroadcasters on the same channel(s) just needing a password and with a
simple web interface to set them up. Configuring a router to do this is
often possible but involves a lot of reconfiguration.

Depending on the router.

I had an old Belkin cable router running as an AP for a few years that
failed the other day. I dug out an equally old but unused Edimax cable
router (given to me by a mate) and used that to replace the Belkin.

Upon access to the WEB GUI (via Wifi) I was offered a 'Setup Wizard'
and one of the option templates was 'AP Mode'. I selected that, set
the SSID and Passphrase to the same as the old one, connected the LAN
cables back up (them acting as a switch) and away it went (my Mobile
phone reconnected on it's own). ;-)

Cheers, T i m