Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Lifts - not Rocket Science

On Wednesday, 2 October 2019 09:28:22 UTC+1, nightjar wrote:
On 01/10/2019 16:40, John wrote:
Since my wife has been consigned to a wheelchair it means I notice lifts
more.
This weekend I encountered one (in a newish building of a company very
committed to access) - the one floor lift has never worked so they have
boarded up the doors (according to a member of staff)

A local superstore - lift out of action 3 times last week.

Old Person's Residential Complex - Lift out of action as service contract
has gone to a firm that prefers a different brand and it is waiting for
parts but may fit a new controller.

Daughter's place of work - blocking a door is likely to put it out of
action for a week

What is it with lifts? - they aren't rocket science.

What are the common causes - and are there generic issues that better
disign could cure?

It is about half a century since I was involved with inspecting any
lift. Back then, the problem was usually that they were rather too
reliable. By the time they eventually went wrong, it was difficult to
get spare parts. These days, I suspect that software problems are more
likely.

I've been wondering what happens regarding the new tower blocks that people are buying flats in for 1/2 million and it;s estimated that after ~15 years the lifts will need replacing and will cost a fortune to replace everything due to H&S regarding lifts, who's going to pay.
The latest ones near me seemed cheap ranging from £120K but on reading the small print it;s for 25% owenership! so yuo have a mortgage for £100K and then have to pay some form of rent, and then when the lift breaks down and needs replacing what then ?

--
Colin Bignell